Life may be meaningless without some electrical devices to make it better. Some of these need to be powered by batteries if you want to keep enjoying their benefits. Since the invention of the first battery, changes were made to address issues affecting the performance of the battery, development were then introduced to make lithium ion cells quite useful. Nowadays, more advanced lithium battery technologies have emerged, such as solid-state lithium-ion battery and 4680 large cylindrical battery, which will bring more benefits to human beings. This debate on battery that is best for powering devices and equipment puzzled an array of customers. But it will not happen again as we are about to explore the many reasons why the recharged lithium-ion promises many advantages over older battery models. And this article is to talk about what you need to know about NiCad vs lithium battery.
1.Why Li-ion battery is better than Ni Cd and lead acid battery?
① Value for money
The lithium ion battery gives its users real value for money because it has a very long cycle life of up to 4000times. If the lithium-ion battery is only recycled once a day, it can be used for ten years. It also comes in very standard and commercial sizes that fits into the space provided by different devices and equipment. Compared with lithium-ion batteries, NiCad vs lithium battery has a shorter cycle life with 1000-2000 times, which shows that lithium ion battery saves its users from hidden cost than NiCad battery.
Lithium battery charges faster than NiCad battery because of the lively nature of lithium ions. This is a aspect we usually talk about NiCad vs lithium and it is a reason loved by more users.
The safety of a battery is a major concern considering whether the substances used in the manufacture is poisonous. The good news remains that lithium battery is very safe to use because it is environmentally friendly although NiCad vs lithium battery will cause environmental pollution. Moreover, lithium ion battery has a battery management system to strengthen the safety and avoid fire risk.
The best lithium batteries have the highest energy density of all types of batteries on the market, so they are lightweight and portable.
2.What type of battery is Ni-Cd?
It is a rechargeable battery developed by Waldemar Jungner from Sweden that makes use of nickel hydroxide and metallic cadmium as electrodes. This battery is used to power appliances such as Electrical fan, remote controller, shaving machine, clock, etc. They are made in different sizes and different discharge rates.
3.FAQs about NiCd
Before making a purchase decision, you may want to know how long it takes to discharge after a full charge for the regular Ni-Cd cells.
① How long do NiCad batteries last?How many times can you charge a NiCd?
The NiCad battery does not have a standard charge time. This largely depends on battery capacity and the current of the load. However, as a guide, charging rate refers to the constant current value required to charge a battery to its rated capacity within a specified time. As for how many times it can be charged, the cycle life of Ni-Cad battery is between 1000-2000 times. This cycle life is higher than the common lead-acid batteries, but only half that of lithium ion batteries.
② Do NiCad batteries need a special charger? Can I charge lithium battery with NiCad charger?
As strange as this may sound, potential customers that use a NiCad charger and lithium charger desire the answer to the above question. Well, NiCad vs lithium battery do not need a specific charger to work with, as long as the charger with the right voltage can be used. The voltage of a single NiCad battery is 1.2V, so the charger voltage should also be about 1.2 - 1.5V. Lithium-ion batteries can only be charged using a lithium-ion battery-specific charger, which is most beneficial to battery life and eliminates safety risks.
③ NiMH or NiCd batteries: What is better ?
Ni-MH battery has a greater flexibility than Ni-Cd battery and it has no pollution to the natural environment and no memory effect. However, it is more expensive than NiCad battery. The selection of Ni-MH vs Ni-Cd battery should be based on the specification of your demand.
④ What are advantages and disadvantages of using nickel cadmium?
- An obvious advantage is that NiCad batteries have a lengthy cycle life. So if life span is an issue Ni-Cd storage packs were your best option before the invention of the lithium ion battery.
- Another advantage that the NiCad has over others is the cost. It’s true that Ni-Cd batteries are priced very low when compared to other batteries that perform the same function. But if NiCad vs lithium batteries, the slightly more expensive one is more worth it. Compared with nickel-chromium batteries, lithium ion batteries have longer cycle life, higher energy density, faster charging, lower single use cost and higher performance experience. Furthermore, it is more environmentally friendly.
- The low self discharge rate may be worth mentioning too. NiCad battery has a low self discharge rate of 20%. Although it is still higher than lithium battery with a self discharge rate of 3.5% per month, it is relatively lower than other conventional batteries.
- NiCad battery has a long cycle life of 1000-2000 times and it delivers a high current output too.
- A major drawback to the use of NiCad vs lithium battery in today’s world is that this battery has been proven to be less environmentally friendly. Cadmium is a toxic substance and is harmful to the environment.
- Also frequent charging may lead to a decline in the performance of the battery over time.
- Finally, NiCad vs lithium batteries have a strong memory effect, so try to discharge NiCad battery before charging.
4.Which battery is better nickel or lithium?
① Do lithium-ion batteries last longer than NiCd?
To answer this question, we will highlight the performance of the lithium batteries which are:
- They are environmentally safe, have a much smaller size and do not require any maintenance as opposed to NiCad batteries.
- Lithium packs last longer than NiCad batteries.
- Durability of batteries is a major factor when opting for an ideal cell; the good news is both options are quite durable but the lithium storage cells last longer than nickel. When NiCad vs lithium battery, NiCad battery can last about 5 years while lithium battery can last 10 years if it is only recycled once a day.
- Both are pretty impressive, on average NiCad batteries last 15-20 years with active use. Lithium power pack offers an incredible lifespan, even with heavy daily use.
② Can I use lithium batteries instead of NiCD?
Theoretically, if the current and voltage match and the size can be adapted, the batteries can be exchanged. But that hardly ever happens. Because the voltage of lithium-ion battery cell is higher than that of NiCad battery cell voltage. There are also differences in size due to their different energy density. Besides the comparison of NiCad vs lithium battery, the difference between li-ion and ni-mh battery is also of concern. You can click li-ion vs ni-mh battery to view more detailed comparison of li-ion vs ni-mh battery.