There has been a requirement for more robust, more effective batteries to operate new devices created by advanced, sophisticated technology. Most crucially, major battery-dependent businesses like Tesla have focused heavily on battery applications for electric vehicles. With the new 4680 battery pack, Tesla just revealed a breakthrough in battery technology. The 4680 battery vs 18650 comparison is one of the most important today as the new battery faces stiff competition from older types. In this article, we'll compare some significant parameters between 4680 battery vs 18650 to identify which battery provides better performance.
1.What type of battery is 4680? How many volts is a 4680 battery?
The Tesla 4680 battery is a brand-new lithium battery that offers with up to 6 times the power and 5 times the energy capacity of a typical 18650 battery. The battery size is 46 x 80 mm. and the battery voltage is 3.7 volt. Tesla claims that a 4680 battery vs 18650 delivers more than 16 percent more, allowing the battery to have more power and run for extended periods.
2.What type of battery is 18650? How many volts is a 18650 battery?
A lithium-ion battery cell known as a 18650 is more significant than an AA battery and is used in various electrical gadgets. These batteries can be made smaller than 4680 battery vs 18650, measuring 18 mm by 65 mm. Each 18750 battery cell can store up to 3500mAh of energy and has a nominal voltage of 3.7V.
3.The pro and cons of 4680 battery vs 18650
Even though both batteries operate similarly and have comparable qualities, there are specific pros and cons to using a 4680 battery vs 18650.
① 4680 battery
- Advantages of 4680 battery
- Each 4680 cell has a larger capacity than a 18650 cell; hence, it relatively costs less to produce a 4680 battery vs 18650 battery.
- A 4680 battery's energy density and capacity are substantially higher and can offer more power for a longer time.
- A 4680 battery's cell has a significantly lower electrical resistance, which causes less heat to build up and overheat.
- A 4680 battery has a faster charge rate due to reduced internal resistance, which allows it to build up and store electrons and supply energy quickly.
- Disadvantages of 4680 battery
- Mass production of 4680 battery is currently limited.
- It is larger when 4680 battery vs 18650, so the radial and axial geometric symmetry becomes worse. Inside the cylindrical battery, this is relatively harsh on the cathode and anode.
- The internal heat dissipation of 4680 battery is more difficult, which has a certain impact on battery life.
② 18650 battery
- Advantages of 18650 battery
- The capacity of a 18650 battery is typically between 1200mAh and 3600mAh.
- The battery cycle life can last up to 4000 times.
- 18650 batteries are recognized as high-performance batteries that operate with a high degree of safety.
- They have lower chances of short circuits and malfunctions.
- They are non-toxic and have a thermal resistance.
- These batteries have low internal resistance, high voltages between 3.2V, 3.6V, 3.65V, and 3.7V, much higher than the 1.2V voltage of NiCd and NiMH batteries, and no memory effect.
- It has a wide range of applications and can be used in energy storage fields including base station power supply, clean energy energy storage, grid power energy storage, home energy storage systems, etc., EVs, motorcycles, new energy vehicles and other power fields, as well as 3C digital field.
- Disadvantages of 18650 battery
- Limited volume and capacity.
- It needs a protection circuit to prevent the battery from being overcharged and causing discharge.
4.Difference between lithium 4680 battery and 18650 battery
When comparing the sizes of the two batteries, the 4680 battery vs 18650 is larger (46mm x 80mm), while the 18650 battery is smaller (18mm x 65mm).
② Application scenarios of 4680 battery vs 18650
- 4680 battery
The 4680 battery's current application is centered on electric vehicles. In contrast to 18650 batteries, which are utilized in various lithium battery applications, including power tools, vapes, and other battery-powered appliances, 4680 battery vs 18650 now only have a single application. For Tesla's upcoming vehicle launches, 4680 batteries will serve as the primary battery pack, with the Model Y being the first vehicle to utilize these batteries.
- 18650 battery
The 18650 battery is used in most portable electronics, including laptops, computers, portable power banks, LED torches, phones, and tablets. In addition, 18650 batteries are employed in larger battery-based applications, such as electric automobiles, motorcycles, scooters, and quad bikes.
③ Cycle life
The cycle life of a 4680 battery vs 18650 battery is between 1000 and 2000 cycles depending on the charging method, while the latter has between 1500 and 4000 cycles. 4680 batteries are considered ternary lithium batteries, with a shorter cycle life because they are now only utilized in electric vehicles. On the other hand, the maximum number of cycles for 18650 batteries is 4000. These batteries can be either ternary or lithium iron phosphate.
While 4680 batteries are rated to have up to an estimated 8000mAh battery capacity, 18650 batteries have a capacity that only reaches 5000mAh.
The peak performance level of a 4680 battery vs 18650 is higher because its cell capacity is five times greater. For instance, a standard electric car requires about 7000 cells of a 18650 battery, whereas a 4680 battery only requires about 1000 cells to provide the same capacity.
5.Which is better - 4680 battery vs 18650
Even though 4680 batteries are not yet available for commercial usage, they are said to perform better than 18650 batteries in terms of capacity, energy density, cycle life, and performance. Compared to 18650 batteries, 4680 batteries perform better in industrial applications. However, 18650 batteries have better production practices as well as standardized processes, making them a superior choice in terms of a broader range of applications.
① Who invented the 4680 battery?
Tesla, along with Panasonic, invented the new 4860 battery.
② Is the 4680 a solid-state battery?
No, the new 4680 Tesla batteries are notsolid-state batteries. The full name of the 4680 battery is the 4680 specification tabless cylindrical battery, and the 4680 is a type of ternary lithium battery.
③ Why are 18650 batteries so popular?
The 4680 battery vs 18650 batteries are popular because of their dependability, lengthy run periods, capacity to be recharged numerous times, and their use in torches, laptops, electronics, and even some electric cars.
④ What is an 18650 battery pack? How many 18650 batteries do I need for 12v?
The 18650 battery pack is a lithium ion battery pack assembled in series and parallel with single or multiple lithium cells plus protective plates or other battery accessories according to the capacity and voltage requirements to obtain higher voltage and maintain longer discharge time. 18650 now has three specifications of battery capacity of 2200/2400/2600, and the required capacity is obtained by connecting in parallel. Assuming that a 12v 50ah lithium-ion battery is required, the capacity of each 18650 cell is calculated as 2500mAh, then 50AH/2500mAh = 20, and 20 batteries need to be connected in parallel.
On the other hand, the required voltage needs to be achieved in series. If the 18650 battery is a lithium iron phosphate battery with a nominal voltage of 3.2v, 4 batteries need to be connected in series, and a total of 20*4 = 80, or 20 18650 batteries are required. But if the 18650 battery is a ternary lithium battery with a nominal voltage of 3.7v, then only 3 batteries need to be connected in series to get a voltage of 12V.